Click Here to Watch the FREE Blogging Video Tutorials

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A nasty cab driver

Feb. 27, 2007
Vancouver, BC Canada

I had arrived at Vancouver International, Vancouver BC Canada just prior to midnight. Once I cleared Immigration and Customs, I headed for the Ground Transportation area. I was staying at the Holiday Inn so I had to advise them I was here so that I can get a ride.

I called the number on the hotels board and the guy told me to just take a cab and tehy would reimburse me when I got there. O.K. I said.

Thinking that the food places would be closed, I went upstairs and snagged some fries and a grilled chicken sandwich and a sprite.

I then headed for the taxi rank, just outside the door. I saw two taxi guys talking and asked one of them if they were available. He asked me where I was going and I told him Holiday Inn. He said get in. As I approached his car, he did not even offer to take my bag or open the trunk of his car.

I then asked him how much it was, "it is metered," he said in a very heavy accent that was almost inaudible. I was very tempted to get out of the cab and should have at that point.

I then asked him if he knew where the hotel was located as he had a little apprehensive look about him. He did not answer and subsequently got on the phone and called someone and proceeded to talk in another language. The only word I understood was "Holiday Inn." So I was right, he had no idea where the hotel was. I also noticed that he was not wearing his seatbelt.

He was very impatient and at times wanted to run the traffic lights. Soon, I saw a sign that said "Holiday Inn Express" off on the left as we turned right. I was about to say something, but eventually we pulled up in front of a Holiday Inn; so there are two, I though. I hoped that I was at the right one.

I paid him the 13.75 that was on his meter, asked him for a receipt and exited his cab. Feeling that I had begged him a ride or something.

As it turns out, I was at the wrong Holiday Inn as my reservation was at the Holiday Inn Express. The very nice front desk clerk called me another cab, who was the total opposite of the other guy. he charged me 6.25 for the ride and I gave him a USD in tip as I was out of Canadian dollars now.

No comments: